Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sweet Potatoes for the Lazy

Sweet potatoes how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Mashed, baked, fries, puffs, tots, hash! 

I just want to give a shout out to Archer Farms for making my life so convenient. I do love sweet potatoes but can we just talk about for a second how difficult they are to cut? Dicing up a few rather chunky sweet potatoes is like a shoulder/forearm met-con. Target started selling them pre-diced and my breakfasts & sides just got a whole lot sweeter. Convenience in the morning when you are half asleep? Yes! 

This is one of my favorite ways to have them along side my eggs. Feels like eggs and hash browns! 
Normally I buy sweet potatoes, skin them and then get to "feelin' the burn" dicing those bad boys up, but in the morning? Ain't nobody got time for that...the easier the better.
Sure you can steam these in the bag, but they are WAY better this way. I promise. 
Put these cute little orange guys in a pan on medium heat with a few tablespoons of Ghee* and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Cook them so they are golden brown, slightly crunchy texture on the outside and soft little puffs of sweet potato goodness on the inside! Sprinkle on a little cinnamon too! Usually takes about 12 minutes total in my experience with a little stirring and flipping every few minutes. Enough to get your coffee going and your eggs sizzling along side for a great breakfast, brunch or whatever you fancy.

What is Ghee you ask? Ghee is this magically delicious clarified butter that most Paleo-ers and the dairy sensitive swear by cooking with. It has a much higher smoke point than butter but still has that lovely buttery taste with the lactose and casein cooked out.
I promise a Ghee post is coming soon. I make my own and use it for what feels like just about EVERYTHING! I am down to my last jar currently so will snap a few pictures of the process when I get some more going.
Noms!!! -Des




No comments:

Post a Comment